Photo Gallery 2 Images
EUGENE, Ore. -- An overnight security guard was shot and killed Friday morning near Highway 99 and Roosevelt Boulevard.
Police identified the victim as Frank Ledgett, 69, of All-N-One Security, based in Springfield.
Officers said several people called 911 reporting shots fired, and they responded around 12:06 a.m. One witness told KEZI 9 News he heard five or six shots.
Ledgett, who owned All-N-One Security, was on duty at the time of the shooting. He was found near his security vehicle in a parking lot at 2750 Roosevelt Blvd.
A post on All-N-One Security's Facebook page read: "It is with a heavy heart that I post this. Last night Frank Ledgett was shot and killed in the course of his duties as a security officer. He was a great man with an awesome sense of humor and would give his shirt off his back if you needed it."
No suspects have been named and EPD has not disclosed a possible motive in the killing.
A former employee of Ledgett who stopped by the crime scene to pay his respects told KEZI Ledgett carried a gun and had a dash camera and body camera. Other people in the area of the crime scene said other security camera footage captured the crime.
The former employee, who didn’t want to give his name, said Ledgett was well-respected in the security community and taught him everything he knows. He said he hopes whoever did this is brought to justice.
“It’s a loss to the security world” the former employee said. “He was well known in the security world, especially around Eugene and Springfield.”
James Young, who was nearby when the shooting happened, said he knew Ledgett. He said he was shocked when he heard what happened.
“He did not deserve that at all. Nobody does,” Young said. “It just should send a message this is a dangerous place.”
Ledgett was a retired veteran. According to the company’s website, he served in the United States Army National Guard and the United States Marine Corps. He had 20 years of security experience.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to assist Ledgett's family. To donate, click here.
- Security guard killed in overnight shooting in Eugene
- Eugene man arrested for allegedly threatening a security guard
- Eugene Airport adds new security screening lane
- Train kills pedestrian in downtown Eugene
- Police are investigating a shooting in Eugene
- Eugene Police confirm officer-involved shooting
- Suspects arrested after shooting in Eugene neighborhood
- Local churches address security concerns following Texas mass shooting
- Coast Guard searching for missing Oregon fisherman
- Coast Guard rescues hiker off cliff