Eugene, Ore. -- It was a heart breaking weekend for a Eugene family. They lost their dog suddenly to salmon poisoning.
Salmon poisoning is a bacterial disease that can be treated, but experts said if it's not caught soon enough it can be fatal for dogs.
Michele Raven said Hubble, her 3 and a half year old terrier, was always full of energy.
"He would get so excited when I'd come home. He would just jump up and jump up...he'd try to untie my shoes all the time," said Raven. A couple of weeks ago, she noticed his typically playful manner turned lethargic.
"Just not himself and he didn't jump on me when I came home," said Raven. She took him to a veterinarian in Coburg, where he was diagnosed with salmon poisoning.
Dogs catch the bacterial disease by eating raw fish. Raven said she had gone fishing and cleaned the trout in her backyard. Even though they made sure to clean up the area and hose down the grass after, a small amount left behind. She said that's all it took to make him sick.
"All it takes is something off a blade of grass, and unfortunately we waited too long to get him to a vet," said Raven.
Raven said Hubble was put down on Friday. She's sharing Hubble's story to prevent this from happening to other families.
"When she [her granddaughter] would cry, he'd go onto her lap and lick the tears from her eyes," said Raven.
Brian Zulauf is an Associate Veterinarian at Santa Clara Animal Hospital in Eugene. He said he has treated dogs in the past with this disease.
"It's only found in the Pacific Northwest," said Zulauf. He said treatment includes an antibiotic and a parasite medication.
He said once the bacteria spreads to the dog's bloodstream, it can be difficult to fight.
"Typically, the most common things we find is vomiting, diarrhea, GI signs. They can become neurological as they get worse. The concern is that is can become septic and that's what causes the majority of the issues," said Zulauf.
He said bringing your pet in right when you notice something is off is key.