EUGENE, Ore. -- The owner of Papa's Soul Food announced Friday the restaurant will be closing.
The iconic southern style restaurant is located on Blair Street, in the heart of the Whitaker community.
Deborah Lee is the owner. She started the restaurant with her husband, Papa, whose restaurant's name is named after. He died eight years ago. Since then, she has been working hard to keep his dream alive.
She said she is closing the restaurant because she is now ready to start a new chapter in her life.
"I'm not doing this because I don't care, because I do and I love the soul kitchen and I always will and I hope people can accept my decision."
Lee said it was not an easy decision to make.
The business had been in Eugene for 15 years and people in the community said there is nothing like it.
Zach Hammer is a frequent customer. He said he is really going to miss it.
"I'm really sad," he said. "It's like the only place I can come to get a taste of home."
Lee said the last day has not been determined, but she really appreciates the outpouring of love an support she has received from the community.
- Papa's Soul Food owner shares reason for closing
- Papa's Soul Food Kitchen closing soon
- Papa's Soul Food Kitchen closing doors November 4
- Sign stolen from Papa's Soul Food Kitchen and BBQ has been returned
- Students raise money for Florence Food Share
- Central Oregon food pantry closing
- Monroe Middle School screens 'Celling Your Soul' documentary
- 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' author touts self-care in Riverbend visit
- OSU cuts ties with Papa John’s Pizza
- Portland food cart owner who used racial slur will pay $1,000