CANNON BEACH, Ore. --- The United States Coast Guard suspended its search for a 4-year-old boy at sunset, after a father and two children were swept into the ocean by a wave on Saturday afternoon.
Police say a man was holding two children, a 7-year-old female and a 4-year-old male, when they were all swept into the ocean by a wave at Falcon Cove, near the county line of Clatsop County and Tillamook County.
Officers responded to the area at 12:38 p.m.
A police officer found an adult male struggling to get out of the ocean and a young girl further out in the ocean, police said.
Police have identified the adult male and father of the two children as Jeremy Stiles of Portland.
The officer went into the ocean and was able to get the girl and bring her to shore. She was taken to Providence Seaside Hospital and pronounced dead, state police said.
Stiles was also taken to the hospital. His condition is unknown.
Cannon Beach Fire Department, Cannon Beach Police Department and Manzanita Police Department all assisted on scene.
- 7-year-old dead, 4-year-old missing after being swept into ocean
- Body of missing sailor recovered from the Pacific Ocean
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks get swept
- OSU takes on 4-year wildfire research project
- Missing Winston man found dead
- Missing Florence man found dead
- Lawsuit: 7-year-old sexually abused at Albany McDonald’s
- Oregon State Softball swept by No. 2 UCLA
- Woman swept to her death at Lake Tahoe waterfall
- Small earthquake hits Pacific Ocean off coast of Oregon