SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Recordings released by the Lane County district attorney revealed the chaotic and intense moments leading up to the death of Stacy Kenny, 33, last month.
Lane County District Attorney Patty Perlow said Kenny was shot and killed by Sgt. Rick Lewis of the Springfield Police Department on March 31. Perlow ruled the shooting justified on Tuesday.
The recording from the District Attorney's Office comes from nearby security camera footage from multiple businesses, a 911 call Kenny made and radio traffic from Springfield officers.
Perlow said police pulled Kenny over for traffic violations, but Kenny sped off multiple times. Kenny called 911 claiming harassment.
Kenny: They are trying to harass me!
911 Dispatcher: 911 what is the location of your emergency?
Police: Put your hands up!
Kenny: Why, what did I do wrong?
After a third stop, Perlow said Sgt. Lewis got inside of Kenny's car to unbuckle Kenny's seatbelt. Kenny then sped off with Lewis inside the car. Perlow said Lewis fired three times and hit Kenny in the torso, but Kenny didn't respond. Lewis then fired two fatal shots, which hit Kenny in the head. Perlow said the car went up on a sidewalk, hit a fence and then a delivery truck.
Police over radio: Shots fired. We're OK. Bad guy down.
Lewis is still recovering from a broken arm.
In a statement from Kenny's parents, they previously said Kenny had a documented non-violent mental illness for which he was
being treated at Lane County Behavioral Health Services. They said they notified police about Kenny's condition in summer 2018 in an effort to keep their son safe.
KEZI 9 News reached out the attorney representing the parents for comment on Wednesday but they declined.
- 911 tapes and video record harrowing details of officer-involved shooting
- Video captures deadly officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- Police release 911 recordings from Springfield ambush
- Eugene Police confirm officer-involved shooting
- Suspect in Springfield officer-involved shooting identified
- DA: Officers justified in Coos Bay officer-involved shooting
- Special Report: Housing Red Tape
- Trial begins against man shot in officer-involved shooting
- Carjacking suspect dead after officer-involved shooting in Portland
- Neighbors react to stabbing, officer-involved shooting in Eugene