Photo Gallery 4 Images
CORVALLIS, Ore. -- The suspect in Thursday morning's active shooter scare was identified as Adrian Nickerson, 22, of Albany.
Police say Nickerson is a "temporary employee" who was inside the Foster Farms processing building. They say he fired one round from a handgun while he was inside a women's restroom.
One woman was in the bathroom at the time, but nobody was injured.
Active threat update: officers have searched the building at Foster Farms. No additional suspects and no wounded persons were located. Investigation will continue. All lockdowns have been lifted but the area is still blocked off.
— Corvallis Police (@CorvallisPD) July 18, 2019
Capt. Nick Hurley with the Corvallis Police Department said Nickerson was involved in a traffic accident immediately before the incident. After the accident, Hurley said Nickerson ran off and into the building.
Nickerson was charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, menacing and criminal mischief.
All lockdowns and lockouts in the area have been canceled.
Benton Center Update: The lock-out at LBCC Benton Center has been lifted. Business at the Center is resuming as normal, and people are safe to come and go. Please be aware that there is still a police presence in the area north of the Center. #LBCCBentonCenter pic.twitter.com/5198VcIe62
— Linn-Benton CC (@lbcc) July 18, 2019
The Oregon State Police SWAT team was called in to handle a barricaded subject situation, but police said the suspect left the building and surrendered before SWAT entered. The man was taken to the police department to be interviewed. Authorities went in to search the building to make sure it is secured.
An employee at the nearby Baja Fresh, Alex Contreras, told KEZI 9 News that he heard one gunshot.
"I was like scared. I just ran inside. I just got here, you know. I thought I was in a war zone for a little while," Contreras said.
Stay with KEZI 9 News for updates.
- Suspect identified in Corvallis active-shooter scare
- Corvallis pharmacy burglarized, suspects sought
- Oregon bus drivers receive active shooter training
- Corvallis police searching for suspected ATM thief
- Eugene Bomb Scare
- Teachers train for active shooter situation in Portland
- Douglas County law enforcement conduct active shooter training
- Active shooter drill preps hospitals for mass casualty events
- Motorcycles backfiring mistaken for an active shooter in Times Square
- Suspect identified in Eugene kidnapping