COQUILLE, Ore. -- Manuel Delgado has been charged with first degree assault, and is now a person of interest in a murder investigation.
Officials said the man Delgado allegedly assaulted, Michael Lucas, is expected to be okay but will need surgery.
Delgado's neighbor, Melissa Huffman, said their neighborhood is relatively quiet.
“Everybody just does their own thing,” Huffman said. “Everybody has jobs, we go to work, come home, relax. We’ve never had anything happen.”
That is, until early Saturday morning.
Huffman said that's when they saw police at the home on Southeast Third Avenue in Coquille around 8:30 a.m. on Saturday.
“We didn’t even realize what had happened until we were leaving the house in the morning, and we're driving down the street and there’s police cars everywhere and they have crime scene tape up,” Huffman said. “We didn’t know how to react. We were floored.”
Around 1:30 a.m. Saturday, police were called to the Coquille Valley Hospital.
Employees there called police, telling them they had a man identified as Michael Lucas that had been stabbed and beaten in the face with a blunt object.
“The officer went to the hospital, interviewed Mr. Lucas, developed where he thought that the assault had occurred, and who was responsible for it,” Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier said.
Police went to the home, but it was locked.
They got a search warrant and went inside around 3 a.m., and they found Manuel Delgado asleep in a bedroom.
Delgado was arrested for the assault on Lucas.
They then discovered the body of Gregory Scott Durham in the bathroom, who authorities said died of "homicidal violence."
Delgado has been identified as a person of interest in that case.
An autopsy is scheduled for later this week.
Delgado's bail was set at $500,000 dollars at his arraignment.
He will be back in court Monday, July 2.
Officials said they likely won't have results on the forensic evidence in that murder investigation for at least a few weeks.
- Coquille assault suspect also person of interest in murder investigation
- Man faces murder charges in Coquille
- Structure fire in Coquille under investigation
- Suspect in Coquille hammer attack caught
- Police searching for suspect after hammer attack in Coquille
- Prosecutor: Coquille hammer attack suspect tried to hurt three others
- Investigators seeking person of interest in Green shootout
- Crews battle house fire in Coquille
- Coquille man dies in rollover crash
- Coquille residents react to overturned manslaughter conviction