EUGENE, Ore. -- Starting this summer, the South Bank bike path will close for up to two years during the construction of the downtown riverfront site.
Brian Richardson with the city of Eugene said crews will be working to remove the path and make way for a brand new one as part of the project.
Utilities that exist under the path will also need to be pushed back to make room for the park. However he said detours will be in place during the project.
"As part of this closure, we're asking people to go through Alton Baker Park to detour around the site. We're going to have a lot of big heavy equipment here on this site as we tear the current path out and make way for a new very nice path through what will be the new riverfront park," said Richardson.
He said this detour is necessary for the safety of not only bikers and walkers, but the construction crews as well.
Jacky Ko is a student at the University of Oregon who rides his bike on the path. He said for him, the detour isn't that big of a deal. But the path becomes very important during football season when students and fans make their way to Autzen stadium.
"(On the) west side of Eugene, usually people will take this path. If you are here during the football game, you will see crowds just merging in through this path," said Ko.
Ko said he anticipates at least 10 minutes will be added to the average commute to Autzen stadium, and that's just for bicyclists.
Neither the Autzen bridge or the Peter DeFazio Bridge will be closed during construction.
Richardson said there's no set date on when crews will get to work, but it'll likely start some time in the middle of June.
- South Bank path closing for riverfront project; Alton Baker Park set as detour
- Woman nearly abducted from Alton Baker Park
- Police investigate sexual assault at Alton Baker Park boat ramp
- Apartments proposed near Alton Baker Park as Homes for Good moves
- Construction begins on Riverfront Park
- LTD detours begin Monday
- Architects propose plans for riverfront redevelopment project
- Designs for Eugene's Riverfront Park revealed
- Eugene unveils concept plan for Downtown Riverfront Park
- Eugene nearing end of design phase for Downtown Riverfront Park