SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Five teenagers were arrested in connection with two incidents at Springfield High School Wednesday afternoon, police said. One of those incidents involved an alleged assault.
Springfield police arrested a 16-year-old boy, three 14-year-old boys and a 13-year-old girl.
Police said the School Resource Officer was investigating an assault on a 16-year-old boy by another 16-year-old and a 14-year-old, which was filmed on another student’s cell phone.
Student Garret Pedersen said fights aren't unusual at the high school.
"I would say they're pretty common," Pedersen said. "Like, during lunch and stuff."
Angel Cano, another student, agreed.
"People just have a short temper," Cano said. "People have a really short temper."
The officer identified the two suspects, and the 16-year-old was arrested at 10th and G streets for third-degree assault.
Police said the 14-year-old was found at 7th and G streets, and he faces charges of third-degree assault and resisting arrest.
When they attempted to arrest him, police said he resisted and a crowd of students surrounded the officers, cussing and yelling at them.
Police called in for back-up to keep the students back, but two other 14-year-olds refused to comply and were also arrested.
One student was taken into custody for interfering with police, resisting arrest and minor in possession of marijuana.
The other was taken into custody for disorderly conduct, interfering with police and carrying a concealed weapon -- a knife.
Shortly after, the high school called the resource officer about a 13-year-old girl banging on the front office glass and threatening to harm staff over her brother being arrested earlier in the day.
Police said the girl was arrested for disorderly conduct, menacing and second-degree criminal trespass.
All of the teenagers were taken to John Serbu Youth Detention Center.
Both incidents took place after the end of the school day at 3 p.m.
- Arrests made after alleged assault at Springfield High School
- Police confident no threat was made towards Springfield High School
- Arrest made in Springfield hoax bomb case
- Man arrested after alleged assault outside 7-Eleven
- Man arrested after alleged assault in Eugene
- Springfield Public Schools sued over alleged A3 sexual abuse
- Two arrested for alleged assault at Eugene convenience store
- High-speed police pursuit ends in arrest in Springfield
- Family seeks answers after alleged assault
- Students learning woodworking skills at Springfield High School