COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. – A man was arrested after two fires were set in Cottage Grove this week.
Jason Smith is in the Lane County Jail facing charges of first and second-degree arson, unlawful entry into a motor vehicle and disorderly conduct.
Police said both incidents happened on or about Jan. 25, with the first taking place in a church parking lot. They said Smith was captured on video surveillance breaking into a vehicle and lighting a fire in the driver’s seat.
Crews extinguished the fire before it could spread. No one was injured.
However, in the second incident, police said Smith was arguing with someone in a recreational trailer. Shortly after, the occupant told Smith to leave, and the trailer was lit on fire. Police said the occupant suffered minor injuries while putting out the flames.
Police arrested Smith a short distance away from the fires that were set.
- Arson suspect arrested after two fires set in Cottage Grove
- K-9 captures hidden suspect near Cottage Grove
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Cottage Grove carousel wins award
- Missing Cottage Grove woman located
- Cottage Grove celebrates Earth Day
- Cottage Grove aquatic center reopens
- Cottage Grove house fire under investigation
- Fire damages home in Cottage Grove
- Truck caught fire in Cottage Grove