Photo Gallery 1 Images
EUGENE, Ore. – The Lane County Sheriff's Office has identified the man shot and killed by a deputy Monday night as 42-year-old Robert Martinez Jr.
Shortly before 5 p.m., a deputy responded to a report of a stolen Honda Accord on the 500 block of Clairmont Drive.
The Sheriff's Office said Martinez was armed when the deputy approached the stolen vehicle he was in.
Investigators said the deputy chose to open fire because Martinez was armed and would not cooperate.
KEZI spoke to a couple who lives off of Clairmont Drive. They said during the chaos, a bullet went through their daughter's bedroom.
"If it been a little bit longer, we would have lost Diana,” said Wilma Twombley. “If it would have been a minute or two.”
Investigators said there was another passenger in the car who has not been charged with anything and is cooperating with authorities.
Martinez was also involved in a stolen car chase and manhunt just a couple months ago.
- Authorities identify man shot by deputy in Eugene
- Deputies identify suspect in Eugene shooting
- Deputies seek public's help identifying suspects in Eugene theft
- Suspect identified in Eugene kidnapping
- Two Washington County deputies shot
- Authorities ID Oregon man killed in shootout with deputies
- Authorities identify man killed in Eagle Point officer-involved shooting
- Oregon authorities identify human skull as missing man
- Deputies identify body found in Albany as missing man
- Deputies identify man killed in Cottage Grove shooting