CORVALLIS, Ore. -- A Corvallis man arrested Thursday faces 25 separate sex abuse charges for allegedly abusing an infant.
Edd Lahar, 30, pleaded not guilty on Friday in Benton County Circuit Court and had his bail set at $10 million. Lahar appeared in court through a video feed, did not show any emotion and only said "yes" when asked questions by the judge.
Benton County District Attorney John Haroldson said some of the charges fall under Jessica's Law and Lahar could face life in prison.
"As a prosecutor, one of our top priorities is to protect our most vulnerable citizens," Haroldson said. "It's hard to imagine anyone more vulnerable than an infant."
Lahar's attorney, Mike Flinn, told KEZI 9 News that the charges against his client are only allegations and they plan on doing a vigorous defense.
The investigation into Lahar began on Wednesday when police received information that the man had sexually explicit images involving a child on a cell phone.
Police said during the investigation, they served a search warrant at Lahar’s residence and found additional evidence of numerous sex crimes against an infant.
Court documents show that the abuse went on for months when the victim was less than two months old and continued until they were less than nine months old. Investigators said that Lahar first claimed the images were taken by accident. Court documents go on to state that police found child pornography on Lahar's computer that the user deleted, intending to hide their actions.
Lahar will need to post a $1 million bail to get out of jail. The judge has ordered him to have no contact with the alleged victim or the victim's mother and to have no access to the internet or recording devices.
"I think the charges speak to themselves in terms of the risks that are concerned to the state and what might be at stake should he be released," Haroldson said.
Lahar is expected to be in front of a judge again on Tuesday, Feb. 5.
Anyone with information in the case can contact police at 541-766-6781.
- Bail set at $10M for Corvallis man charged with sex abuse of infant
- Quran instructor from Corvallis faces sex abuse charges in Tigard
- Corvallis man accused of encouraging child and animal sex abuse
- Lebanon man faces sex abuse charges
- Springfield man facing sex abuse charges
- Man faces sex abuse charges, accused of abusing 2 teens
- Corvallis man charged with embezzling $33,000
- Springfield man charged with murdering infant
- Medford chiropractor faces sex abuse charges
- Edible gardening tour set in Corvallis