LOS ANGELES, CA. --- ABC News confirmed that Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash on Sunday. At least five people were killed in the crash in Southern California.
Bryant's 13-year-old daughter Gianna Maria Onore also died in the crash.
Former University of Oregon baseball player J.J. Altobelli is greatly affected by this crash. His father, John Altobelli was one of the nine people on board.
John Altobelli's brother, Tony, said his 56-year-old brother died along with his wife, Keri, and daughter, Alyssa, who was about 13 and played on the same basketball team as Bryant's daughter, Gianna.
Authorities said it happened in Calabasas, about 30 miles west of Los Angeles.
Witnesses reported foggy weather and seeing the plane going down quickly and then slamming into a hillside. Then, they saw it burst into flames.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said there are no survivors.
Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board are responding to the scene.
Bryant had 18 all-star games to his name.
That makes him one of the best NBA players of all-time.
- Retired NBA star Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash
- Public memorial service for Kobe Bryant and other helicopter victims might be weeks away, sources say
- In wake of Kobe Bryant death, beware scams, BBB says
- Vanessa Bryant breaks her silence and honors Kobe and Gianna Bryant
- Helicopter crashes on Sauvie Island
- He was born to play basketball, but for Kobe Bryant that was never enough
- Los Angeles Lakers get together for first time since learning of Kobe Bryant's death
- Helicopter crashes in forest south of Oakridge
- Three National Guard soldiers killed in helicopter crash identified
- Dillon Brooks scores 19 in NBA debut