Junction City, Ore. -- "It's a very difficult league," says Richard Milne, Junction City high school football coach. "I mean the two top teams from last year in the league and I don't thikn there is much drop off there. And then you bring in a 5A school there that was competing. It's very tough."
Between returning state champ Cotton Grove and Marist joining the league from 5A, Junction City has their work cut out for them.
"We've got a lot of inexperience and sometimes they become apprehensive and it slows them down," Milne explains. "So, we've been really pushing them to go hard. And if they ,make a mistake, just go hard and make something happen. So, that's been the mantra for this fall."
Wih players playing other sports and having summer jobs, Coach Richard Milne and his staff have gotten creative with their summer workouts.
"We have an online strength program that the kids can follow anywhere," he says. "We went to that platform so they necessairly didn't have to come into the weight room. So a lot of them go to local gyms and they work and what knot. It was definitely something we put a lot of pressure on them to do. We really encourage them to hit the weight room and decrease the mount of injuries and get stronger."
With not a lot of time left in this preseason, the name of the game is preperation.
"The biggest thing is just the inexperience. We have a small group of upper classmen and have a lot of young guys that are going to have to play. And some guys are very good but again, they are inexperienced and didn't play varsity last year."
And that all starts August 31st against Philomath.
- Blitzing the Preseason: Junction City Tigers
- Blitzing the Preseason: Marist Spartans
- Blitzing the Preseason: Corvallis Spartans
- Blitzing the Preseason: Thurston Colts
- Blitzing the Preseason: Harrisburg Eagles
- Blitzing the Preseason: Willamette Wolverines
- Blitzing the Preseason: Creswell Bulldogs
- Blitzing the Preseason: McKenzie Eagles
- Blitzing the Preseason: Roseburg Indians
- Blitzing the Preseason: Lebanon Warriors