Roseburg, Ore. -- While other teams in 6A made the jump down to 5A, Roseburg high school is standing pat, aiming to build on a 3-7 season.
"The numbers are up which is a good thing," explains David Heurberger, Roseburg head football coach. "Kids are flying around coaches are flying around. We have a bit more depth than we've had in the last couple of years and so our practices are a lot more competitive and it's been great."
The Indians return multiple offensive linemen and one of their stars, Zack Mandera, a Portland State commit.
"It was just one of those things where I felt really comfortable up there and I really liked the coaching staff and I made that decision," says Mandera.
And all those returners mean competitive practices.
"Lineman are really pushing the defensive linemen which is really giving the linebackers a different look," says Mandera. "Linemen are stepping up to the linebackers so that's really giving us a better look. Wide receivers have been doing good things and our corners are working real hard."
"Our kids are tough," Heurberger follows up. "A lot of 2, 3 sport kids that know how to compete. We're not gonna hand them out tokens or anything like that, they're out there competing for their teammates and the community."
That, and some new faces as well.
"Kid from North Medford, he's been doing well," explains Heurberger. "A kid from El Dorado, California moved in and then a kid from Mazama and so we have those guys that have potential. Like you said we have to get them on the field on Friday nights to see what they are."
So Roseburg remains in 6A with a chance to make some noise in 2018.
- Blitzing the Preseason: Roseburg Indians
- Blitzing the Preseason: Marist Spartans
- Blitzing the Preseason: Corvallis Spartans
- Blitzing the Preseason: Thurston Colts
- Blitzing the Preseason: Harrisburg Eagles
- Blitzing the Preseason: Willamette Wolverines
- Blitzing the Preseason: Creswell Bulldogs
- Blitzing the Preseason: McKenzie Eagles
- Blitzing the Preseason: Lebanon Warriors
- Blitzing the Preseason: Springfield Millers