SALEM, Ore. (AP) -- The bodies of a missing Oregon mother and son have been found.
Authorities say the bodies were found Saturday in a heavily wooded and very remote area in Yamhill County.
The bodies were identified Sunday as Karissa and Billy Fretwell. An autopsy found the mother's cause of death was a single gunshot to the head, while additional testing will determine how her 3-year-old son died.
The Salem woman and her son disappeared May 13. The boy's biological father was later arrested and charged with kidnapping and aggravated murder.
Court papers show Fretwell went to court to establish that Michael Wolfe is Billy's father. A DNA test verified her claim, and Fretwell then filed a petition seeking child support.
Wolfe has been jailed without bail since May 25.
- Bodies found of missing Oregon mother and son
- Body of missing fisherman found on Oregon beach
- Woman's body found in Oregon hotel room
- Body of missing teen found on coast
- Missing hiker's body found at Toketee Falls
- Body of missing Coos County man found
- Body of missing man has been found
- Body of missing woman found near Brookings
- Salem mother and young son missing since May 13
- Missing snowboarder found alive in southern Oregon