CORVALLIS, Ore. -- The Klamath County Sheriff's Office identified the Boy Scout who died Saturday after falling while hiking near Middle Rosary Lake.
Nolan Grant Henderson, 16, was a student at Corvallis High School.
In a statement, Corvallis School District Communications Coordinator Brenda Downum said:
"We are deeply saddened by the death of this student and our thoughts are with the family. Our practice is to provide emotional support to students and staff at the school where the student attended. We are doing so today."
KEZI 9 News spoke with the Vice Principal of Corvallis High School, and he said it wasn't a good time to speak as the school community is still suffering through this loss.
Klamath County Sheriff Chris Kaber said on Saturday Nolan and another boy were climbing a cliff near the lake. Nolan grabbed a handhold that gave way, and he fell.
Initial reports said the boys were seriously injured in a fall from a peak near the lake.
An Army National Guard helicopter and medical team was dispatched, but Nolan was apparently already dead when emergency responders arrived.
The team rescued the injured teenager whose name has not been released at this time.
KEZI reached out to the Boy Scouts of America Oregon Trail Council.
Scout Executive Scott Impecoven said in a statement:
"Our Scouting family is going through a painful time. We are sad to confirm the death of one of our youth members following a hiking-related incident. We would like to extend our deepest condolences to the victim's family, and we will support them in any way that we can. Please join us in keeping all those affected in your thoughts and prayers."
Impecoven said the other teen has minor injuries but is expected to survive.
- Boy Scout that fell to his death was Corvallis High School student
- Family sues Boy Scouts for $10M over Corvallis teen's death
- Young boy drowns in Corvallis
- Girl Scouts sue Boy Scouts over program's name change
- Corvallis High School replaces turf despite community backlash
- Threat prompts extra security Friday at Corvallis High School
- Suspect in theft arrested near Corvallis High School
- Boy Scout troop loses all GoFundMe donations
- WSJ: Boy Scouts may file for bankruptcy
- Man arrested following shooting death of high school student