SUTHERLIN, Ore. -- A popular Roseburg brewery is opening a location in downtown Sutherlin, in hopes of attracting more businesses to the area.
The owners of Backside Brewing Co. in Roseburg signed a lease for a property on Central Avenue. The property was the home to “Fusion,” a restaurant that closed more than a year ago.
Savannah Mckillip, co-owner of Backside, said they’re expecting to open their second location in June. She said the new location will be much smaller than the original.
She said it will be focused more as a restaurant and they will not be brewing there.
"It was kind of a shock really," Mckillip said. "They called us their downtown anchor and we were both like oh my gosh, so we’re like the first.”
City officials said they wanted to bring Backside Brewing to Sutherlin as part of the city’s revitalization plan. The overall goal is to beautify the city, improve industrial areas, add sports fields, and bring new businesses to downtown.
Jerry Gillham, Sutherlin’s city manager, said their goal is for people to come into Sutherlin, not drive through it.
“We want a very vibrant and successful economic entity in downtown," said Gillham.
Gillham said bringing Backside Brewing is the first step in moving toward revitalization.
- Brewery to open in Sutherlin; hopes to bring more businesses downtown
- Sutherlin High School receives award
- Fire destroys home in Sutherlin
- Two-A-Days: Sutherlin Bulldogs
- Crash kills one near Sutherlin
- Wanted men arrested in Sutherlin
- Sutherlin credit union robbed Friday night
- Students surprise Sutherlin Police with handmade card
- Sutherlin holding community forum on school bond
- Sutherlin Police receive speed enforcement grant