LYONS, Ore. (AP) — Authorities say a California man drowned in a river south of Portland, Oregon, as he tried to help his 12-year-old daughter who appeared to be in distress.
The Marion County Sheriff’s Office says emergency crews responded to a report of a swimmer who had gone underwater in the Santiam River at about 2:10 p.m. Thursday.
Authorities say people nearby had gotten 29-year-old Baltazar Tellovelasco of Oxnard, Carifornia, out of the water by the time emergency responders arrived.
Authorities say efforts to resuscitate Tellovelasco were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Deputies say Tellovelasco had gone into the water to assist his daughter. She was able to make it out safely.
- California man drowns in Oregon trying to help daughter
- California man drowns in Oregon river while saving daughter's life
- Wyoming man drowns in Oregon canoe accident; daughter hurt
- Man drowns at Crater Lake
- Washington man drowns off Oregon coast in rip current
- Sunriver man, 63, drowns in Deschutes River
- Man drowns at Fern Ridge Reservoir
- Young boy drowns in Corvallis
- Willamette River drowning victim identified
- Toddler drowns in Linn County