STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Carbon monoxide leak forces 180 people out of their homes

KEZI 9 News has learned what is to blame for a carbon monoxide leak Sunday afternoon.

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 7:45 AM
Updated: Jan 29, 2018 5:27 PM

EUGENE, Ore – An apartment complex was evacuated Sunday afternoon after fire crews found carbon monoxide inside.

It was originally reported as a gas leak.

Eugene-Springfield Fire Department tells KEZI 9 News that two maintenance contractors were using gas-powered leaf backpack blowers inside of a parking garage for about an hour.

Carbon monoxide traveled through the elevator shaft and stairwells and entered other parts of the building.

About 180 people living in The Patterson apartment complex were evacuated.

Firefighters checked the building to make sure no one was sickened. They said at no point were dangerous levels of carbon monoxide detected inside any apartments.

Neither maintenance worker displayed signs of carbon monoxide-related illnesses.

Oregon Coronavirus Cases

Data is updated nightly.

Confirmed Cases: 19978

Reported Deaths: 338
CountyConfirmedDeaths
Multnomah460893
Washington292124
Marion275568
Umatilla214126
Clackamas146438
Malheur71512
Deschutes5558
Lane5403
Jackson4211
Lincoln4149
Yamhill40412
Union3922
Jefferson3323
Morrow3272
Polk30112
Linn26310
Klamath2001
Hood River1780
Wasco1723
Benton1626
Douglas1401
Josephine1082
Coos890
Columbia860
Clatsop830
Crook421
Baker360
Tillamook340
Lake320
Wallowa191
Curry140
Sherman140
Harney100
Gilliam40
Grant20
Unassigned00
Wheeler00
Eugene
Broken Clouds
71° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 50°
Feels Like: 71°
Corvallis
Clear
66° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 50°
Feels Like: 66°
Roseburg
Few Clouds
71° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 71°
North Bend
Clear
62° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 62°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events