EUGENE, Ore – An apartment complex was evacuated Sunday afternoon after fire crews found carbon monoxide inside.
It was originally reported as a gas leak.
Eugene-Springfield Fire Department tells KEZI 9 News that two maintenance contractors were using gas-powered leaf backpack blowers inside of a parking garage for about an hour.
Carbon monoxide traveled through the elevator shaft and stairwells and entered other parts of the building.
About 180 people living in The Patterson apartment complex were evacuated.
Firefighters checked the building to make sure no one was sickened. They said at no point were dangerous levels of carbon monoxide detected inside any apartments.
Neither maintenance worker displayed signs of carbon monoxide-related illnesses.