CHARLESTON, Ore. – A fire at the Charleston ice house is out, and firefighters remain on scene putting out hot spots and mopping up the damage.
The fire started Friday morning and caused an ammonia plume that resulted in a recommended evacution in the immediate area. The evacuation was lifted when ammonia was no longer detected in the area.
The Coos Bay Fire Department said the toxic plume either dissipated or was high enough that people are no longer in danger.
During the emergency, people were told to avoid the area due to the potential danger caused by ammonia in the air.
The Coos County Sheriff's Office said that the ice house in Charleston was destroyed by the fire. The ice house was located across from the U.S. Coast Guard station on King Fisher Road in Charleston.
When the fire broke out Friday morning numerous units responded to the area. First responders had to stay away from the fire to wait for Coos Bay’s hazardous materials team to respond.
At one point the regional hazmat team said the toxic plume was being pushed north due to the wind and businesses in the Transpacific Parkway area were notified.
Capt. Gabriel Fabrizio of the Coos Bay Sheriff’s office said Friday morning that southerly winds were expected to help push the ammonia out into the bay.
People were advised to stay as far away as possible until the situation was contained. A one-mile safety zone was put in place around the site, and officials recommended that people evacuate from that zone. People outside of the zone were advised shelter in place.
The ice house provided ice 24 hours a day to fishermen.
For more video of the fire click here.