EUGENE, Ore. -- Fire crews were called out to a home near the intersection of Martin Street and Canyon Drive in south Eugene just before 9 p.m. on Wednesday.
Fire officials said when trucks first pulled up they saw the fire consuming that chicken coop and were able to put it out with a large water gun on top of one of the fire engines.
Then crews noticed the fire had spread to the home, eating its way into the attic and damaging one of the bedrooms.
Neighbors Amanda and Paul Eaton said they were shocked when they saw the fire.
"After it was started our neighbors here actually saw it first, and we saw her running. So I opened the door to see what's up and she said the neighbor's chicken coop is on fire. And we turned around and were like, 'Oh my goodness. That's gonna hit our house.'"
Fire crews said while there is damage to the home, most of the family's possessions can be salvaged and, after some repairs, they can likely move back in.
Neighbors said the homeowners are currently out of town, so no one was home when the fire started.
Officials said it's possible a heating source inside the chicken coop started the fire, but fire marshals will be double checking that.