EUGENE, Ore. -- A student at Churchill High School was charged on Thursday with first degree rape.
Cabala Ray Newell, 17, was arraigned in the Juvenile Justice Center, but officials at the Lane County District Attorney's office said Newell will be tried as an adult. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of eight years and four months in prison.
Court documents allege the crime occurred on May 17, but did not specify the location.
KEZI 9 News does not typically name juvenile defendants except in the case of serious Measure 11 crimes tried in adult court.
Newell is expected back in court on July 10.
- Churchill student charged with rape
- Blitzing the Preseason: Churchill Lancers
- Churchill High School offering 'Medical Pathway' to students
- Churchill High School students learn coding through robotics program
- NCU student arrested on rape charges
- Churchill staff members kneel for National Anthem
- PHOTO GALLERY: Churchill beats North Eugene
- PHOTO GALLERY: Churchill defeats Central 56-21
- Churchill teen nationally recognized for suicide prevention
- OSU student charged with rape wants bail reduced