COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- Community members spent Saturday honoring 'The Cottage Grove Waver' after he passed away.
For many in town, the sound of car horns on East Main Street was common.
"We call this the waver's corner in Cottage Grove," said Ashley Bransetter, a Cottage Grove resident.
Bransetter said she lives right across the street from where Clarence Kreamier would sit for the last three years and greet community members as they drove by.
"Every morning, I'd wake up about 7 a.m and hear car horns and he would sit out here and wave to everybody," she said.
Kreamier was a Cottage Grove resident for 10 years, a veteran and loved by his community.
"He would just come out and wave to everybody, you know, going to work and then he'd come back and wave to people coming home," Bransetter said.
Community members said they look forward to the sounds of car horns every day, but they said the knew something was wrong when the sounds stopped.
"Apparently, he'd been sick for the last little bit and we just found out the other day that he passed away," Bransetter said.
Family members said Kreamier passed away on April 17.
"Without him, there's a gigantic hole," said his daughter, Nancy Kreamier
A gigantic hole in their hearts, and a quiet spot on East Main Street.
However, the street was not quiet on Saturday.
Community members, some of whom only knew Clarence as 'The Cottage Grove Waver' waved and smiled to people driving by.
"There'll be an absence, but there'll be a strong memory of him when we drive by this corner," said Kenneth Roberts, a city councilor.
A strong memory of one man who united a community with a wave and a smile.
- 'Without him, there's a gigantic hole': Residents remember the 'Cottage Grove waver'
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Cottage Grove carousel wins award
- Missing Cottage Grove woman located
- Cottage Grove celebrates Earth Day
- Friends remember Cottage Grove man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Cottage Grove residents return home after severe flooding
- Cottage Grove warming center needs volunteers
- Cottage Grove Police Search for Missing Man
- Federal investigation on Cottage Grove marijuana operation