MONROE, Ore. -- The Monroe School District has pushed the first day of school for Monroe Grade School back to Sept. 17 because of a construction delay, and they want to give teachers and staff time to move their things in.
Crews with Gerding Builders have been working since June to do seismic upgrades and have added five additional classrooms during phase two of a three-phase project.
Dave Harris with Gerding Builders said the delays are not unexpected. He said with the construction boom, it's taking longer to get the materials they need.
“We're on our ninth week of work, and they usually have a 12-week lead time,” Harris said. “So we're actually pretty lucky with what we got and what we are working with.”
Superintendent Bill Crowson said starting school on Sept. 17 will also give crews time to make the campus safer by installing doors. At this time Crowson said they are not sure how they will make up the lost school days.
“Obviously we want to provide our kids with a good education and make sure they have the time that they need, so we'll be looking at how we can adjust later down the road,” Crowson said.
Crowson said he's exploring all options to make up the lost time including extending the school day and adding school days.
Audrina Campbell whose son goes to Monroe Grade School said she wants someone to take responsibly for the delay and wants Gerding Builders to be held accountable.
"I have to keep breaking it to my 8-year-old, 'Sorry kiddo, school is not starting yet. I know you were excited to go to school tomorrow, and it's not happening. If you go back on Monday I still have no idea,'" Campbell said. "So he's getting really frustrated. He misses his friends, he wants to go back to the routine."
- Construction delays Monroe Grade School start
- I-105 construction causing major delays in Eugene
- Sutherlin School District shifting grade levels next school year
- Crews start construction on LCC building
- Icy roads prompt school delays
- SCHOOL DELAYS: Thursday, March 7
- Flooding prompts school closures & delays
- Blitzing the Preseason: Monroe Dragons
- Alsea, Glendale delay school openings Thursday
- Turf work delayed at Roseburg High School