COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. – Community members are helping a family after a recent house fire destroyed their home and sent a man to the hospital.
Fire crews responded to the cooking fire on Nellie Lane back on March 1.
Jared Wilson was taken to the hospital with severe burns. He has been receiving treatment in Portland for those injuries.
Community members started a GoFundMe page that has raised nearly $14,000 in donations. The Cottage Bowl, the bowling alley where Jared’s wife Andrea works, has also received over $2,000 in donations so far.
"I feel like we are a family, so just absolutely devastated when we found out the news about her house,” said Natalie Cardoza, an owner of the Cottage Bowl.
The Cottage Bowl will also be holding a fundraiser for the Wilson family on March 16. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m.
Cardoza said despite the winter storm that hit the area hard, people in the community have still been generous with their donations.
"I've had people come in that I know don't have a whole lot of extra cash and they are more than willing to put it in there to help her,” Cardoza said. “One of the comments was she needs it more than I do right now and it's been pretty amazing. It leaves you speechless."
Andrea Wilson commented on the GoFundMe page and said Jared was recovering well.
- Cottage Grove community raises money after devastating house fire
- Cottage Grove house fire under investigation
- Cottage Grove community members remember fallen veterans
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Cottage Grove carousel wins award
- Missing Cottage Grove woman located
- Cottage Grove celebrates Earth Day
- Cottage Grove house fire sends man to hospital
- Woman rescued from house fire in Cottage Grove
- 1 dead after house fire in Cottage Grove