COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- Two Cottage Grove 15-year-old boys have been cited for harassment after a member of the Cottage Grove High School junior varsity football team reported being sexually assaulted in the boys locker room.
Cottage Grove Police Chief Scott Shepherd said the incident happened in September, and the case has been forwarded to the Lane County Juvenile Court for prosecution.
The victim reported there were instances of hazing and bullying that happened at football practice and during daily doubles after the season began.
“There was one specific incident that was reported as a sexual assault,” Shepherd said.
The district attorney and Cottage Grove police conferred and decided to cite the teenagers for harassment, he said.
Shepherd confirmed that the victim reported being assaulted with a broomstick with multiple players present.
There may have been other sanctions against players issued by the school district for other incidents, he said.
Shepherd said the Cottage Grove Police Department began investigating the incident immediately after it was reported to police on Sept. 30.
Officials with the South Lane School District say they are focusing on the safety of their students and moving on from the incident.
“I as much as everyone involved in the situation cares deeply about every student in our school district," said Brian McCasline, director of human resources and staff effectiveness at the South Lane School District. "As I mentioned before, we will continue to strive for the safety of our students.”
McCasline said they are working to improve supervision in the locker room and at athletic events. He also said they are working to teach students, staff and coaches how to better address issues like this.
- Cottage Grove teenagers cited in hazing incident
- Cottage Grove police address new hazing allegations
- Teenagers accused of burglarizing Cottage Grove bank
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Cottage Grove carousel wins award
- Missing Cottage Grove woman located
- Cottage Grove celebrates Earth Day
- Cottage Grove aquatic center reopens
- Second family alleges locker room incident in Cottage Grove
- Cottage Grove warming center needs volunteers