EUGENE, Ore. -- Two porch pirates found themselves in a messier situation than they hoped for Thursday, after unwittingly stealing a box of dirty diapers.
Derek and Megan Johnson live in the Gilham neighborhood. They said package thieves have been an ongoing problem on their street for weeks now.
“It makes you feel violated,” Derek said. “That somebody would come right down to your property and take something."
Derek said the first incident happened two weeks ago, and was captured by doorbell surveillance video. The recording shows a man walking up to the Johnson's front porch and swiping a FedEx package filled with marketing materials for Derek's job.
Frustrated, the couple decided to fight back: Derek filled an empty box with an open can of cherry wood stain and his son's dirty diapers. Then he sat back and waited.
Sure enough, the bandits took the bait.
On Thursday, while the family was away, Derek's security system notified him that somebody was on the porch. Reaching for his cellphone, he watched live as a woman crept up to the door...and straight into his trap. She took the package, and then handed it to her male accomplice, who was waiting in the front yard.
He noted that today's diaper theft happened in broad daylight.
“Today they parked in my driveway when they approached the house and stole the package so people are pretty brazen,” he said. They don't really care how you feel.”
Johnson said he is frustrated people are walking up to his porch and taking his belongings. He said he is using this experience as an opportunity to show others it can also happen to them. For his part, he said he will ask the package delivery services to no longer leave anything on their porch.
Experts recommend having your packages delivered to a place of employment or require a signature delivery.
- Couple pranks package thieves
- Thieves steal $140k worth of equipment
- Thieves target mailboxes in Santa Clara
- Thieves take $400,000 in diamonds in Seattle heist
- Eugene Police cracking down on bike thieves in downtown area
- Eugene police using bait bikes to stop thieves
- Caught on Camera: Thieves steal donuts from Elmira market
- Pair accused of stealing Springfield packages
- Washington County deputies use bait packages to catch porch pirates
- Neighborhoods should band together to deter package thefts