EUGENE, Ore. -- During the holidays, it can be easier to get wrapped up in the idea of buying more gifts, decorations, and food. Experts said from November to December humans produce 25 percent more waste than at any other time of the year.
There are some simple ways to use things that we already have to decorate.
- Gift Boxes: Decorate cereal, shoe or other boxes instead of buying new boxes.
- Wrapping Paper: Use comics, maps, calendars, posters and fabric wrapping. Fabric wrapping can be knotted, pinned or tied with a ribbon.
- Ribbons and Bows: Reuse last year's bows. Make bows out of yarn, dried flowers, video/ audio tape, or Mylar food wrappers. Make bows out of leftover wrapping paper.
- Mason Jars and Clay Flower Pots: Package gifts such as baking mixes, bath supplies and more in mason jars. Use fabric scraps, wrapping paper or homemade "bee wraps" for a decorative lid. Clay flower pot bases can be used as a lid and secured to the pot with ribbon, twine or string.
- Gift Tags: Write the name on the wrapping itself or make tags from last year's cards.
- Trim a tree with popcorn, cranberries or pinecones—these items are typically compostable. (Never feed wildlife "people food," including popcorn.)
- Make snowflakes from 6-pack rings, delightful wreaths from old greeting cards, and a garland of stars from non-recyclable plastic packaging.
- Decorate a live tree in your yard. Bring a potted tree or evergreen boughs inside to decorate.
- Place wrapping paper in frames for seasonal décor or use it to make fun, easy placemats.
- Use wrapping paper to build a paper Christmas tree, hanging streamers or bunting.
- Create festive holiday decor with everyday materials
- How to avoid a trip to the E.R. while decorating for the holidays
- Experts say decorating early for the holidays can make you happier
- Roseburg brings in the holiday season with Festival of Lights
- Eugene decorates parking garages with poems
- Oregon coast libraries won't fine overdue children’s material
- 2018 Holiday Shipping Deadlines
- UO student creates bullet-resistant laptop case
- Monstrous Carr Fire creating own weather system
- Oregon State Police creates new phone number