CRESWELL, Ore. -- Cassie Putnam, the Creswell woman accused of stealing money from a charitable donation, was formally charged with first-degree theft Wednesday morning.
Today, a new alleged victim of Cassie Putnam has come forward.
Kaylin Lechner said she was harrassed by Putnam in the past when she bought a puppy from her. Lechner's previous roomates bought a puppy from Putnam as well, but Lechner said that Putnam stole that puppy back and never faced charges.
When describing Putnam, Lechner said this: "Not trustworthy. The only word that comes to mind is evil."
Lechner said that a group of around 10 people who have been victimized by Putnam are planning to show up at her next court date later this month.
Putnam's theft charge comes after accusations she kept part of a donation to a local woman in need.
Skip Calhoun attempted to donate $5,000 to Echo Bell, a woman with six children who recently lost her partner, Doug Soy. Calhoun wanted to remain anonymous when donating the money, so he gave the money to Putnam to pass along to Bell.
Putnam then allegedly gave Echo $2,500 and kept the other half for herself, telling Bell that the donor wanted her, Putnam, to have the other half for being "such a good friend."
Bell then posted a thank you note on Facebook, expressing her appreciation to the anonymous donor for the $2,500. Calhoun, the donor, then saw the post on Facebook and realized that Bell and her family only received half of the amount he gave to Putnam.
Bell eventually received the rest of the money from Putnam.
Putnam appeared in Lane County court and is scheduled to appear again on Nov. 26.
Putnam is married to a Lane County deputy.
- Creswell woman formally charged with theft in charity case
- Creswell fire damages offices
- Creswell fire leaves 3 homeless
- Flames tear through Creswell barn
- Blitzing the Preseason: Creswell Bulldogs
- Man hospitalized following Creswell shooting
- Two-A-Days: Creswell Bulldogs
- Creswell man arrested in stabbing
- Man formally charged with attempted murder after nail salon attack
- Man accused of killing grandfather formally charged with murder