EUGENE, Ore. -- The cleanup continues in Amazon Creek in Eugene, after a shiny substance was found in the water Monday afternoon. But city crews said they now know where it came from.
Crews were first notified about the shiny substance found in the creek Monday afternoon, when a man near the bridge close to Stewart Road called it in. It covered nearly three miles.
Brian Richardson with Eugene Public Works said crews have been monitoring the spill and have placed eight oil booms downstream. He said crews discovered the spill had started near the corner of 18th and Bailey Hill Road, but said it's not clear if it was intentional.
"It's in a catch basin. We don't know who put the fuel there, but once that person put that fuel there they then tried to clean up any of the fuel that went down to the storm drain system,” Richardson said. “From there the fuel went down through the storm drain system and dumped directly in the Amazon."
KEZI spoke to Bonnie Glass, the owner of Euphoria Chocolates. Her business is located right along the creek. Glass said it is unfortunate the spill happened, but appreciates the work from the city to get it resolved.
"The city is going to be able to get to the bottom of this and ensure it's not a recurrent issue, but it still doesn't take away the fact that it's happened once and we're going to need to come together as a community to clean it up," said Glass.
Richardson said they appreciate the man who called them about the spill, and want others to do the same if they see anything concerning.
They will continue to monitor the creek the next few days to ensure there is no more fuel in the water.
- Crews locate source of Amazon Creek spill
- Crews cleaning three-mile spill on Amazon Creek
- Lane Apex says fuel from truck caused Amazon Creek spill
- Man found dead in Amazon Creek identified
- Body found floating in Amazon Creek
- Car crashes into Amazon Creek in Eugene
- Students find body in Amazon Creek area
- Community reacts to Amazon Creek death
- Crews investigate after water in parts of Amazon Creek turn brown
- Body found in Amazon Creek in west Eugene