LANE COUNTY, Ore. -- Winter weather is making drive dangerous over Santiam Pass.
As of Monday evening, Trip Check is reporting a carry chains or traction tires requirement was in effect with severe weather hazards on the pass with 21" of roadsides snow. Lewis Langendoerfer who traveled from Redmond said he experienced a whiteout on the summit.
"First started out and it was real wet," Langendoerfer said. "We got to the top of the mountain and it was like a whiteout, it's hard to see where you was going."
Other travelers took extra precautions before they hit the road for the holidays. Richard Kraynick traveled up Santiam Pass with his family to enjoy the winter wonderland. He keeps an emergency kit in his car that has food and water just in case.
"You never know when the roads might close or even a delay," Kraynick said. "you might be sitting there for a couple of hours."
Old McKenzie Highway 242 is closed for the season.
- Dangerous driving conditions on Santiam Pass
- Saving Santiam Pass Ski Lodge
- Two killed in crash near Santiam Pass
- Permits Signed to Bring Back Santiam Pass Ski Lodge
- Heavy snowfall causes dangerous driving conditions in Eugene
- Two-A-Days: Santiam Christian Eagles
- 1 of 2 victims identified in fatal crash near Santiam Pass
- Fuel from fatal truck crash spills into North Santiam River
- Evacuations in place as Santiam Park Fire grows in Lyons
- Evacuations lifted in Lyons as crews fight Santiam Park Fire