SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- There are still more questions than answers about what happened in Springfield Sunday night -- an incident that sent two officers to the hospital after a fatal shooting.
Those officers were treated for their non-life-threatening injuries and released on Monday.
It's been less than 24 hours, but the District Attorney's office is asking the public to give them time to make sure their office gets this right.
"We'd rather know everything in advance, have a chance to test it and compare it to the evidence, and give what appears to be the most accurate version of events," said Chief Deputy District Attorney Erik Hasselman.
It's because of that need to make sure they get it right that Hasselman and the District Attorney's office are asking the public for patience.
Hasselman said they are pushing the Interagency Deadly Force Investigations Team (IDFIT) for quick action.
"That's something that we've worked very hard with our partner agencies to say, listen, if you're going to send a detective out to the scene, send us one that can be working on this with a short turn-around," Hasselman said. "I think the community deserves it. I think the involved officers deserve it."
While they want a quick resolution, Hasselman said it could still take some time.
"That will take a week-plus to do. That's actually pretty quick to conduct these type of investigations," Hasselman said. "Lane County takes it pretty seriously, making sure we get a thorough investigation done up-front."
Hasselman said the investigation is moving along. However, an autopsy on the subject was scheduled for Monday, but he believes that was postponed until Tuesday.
- DA aims for quick but thorough investigation into fatal Springfield shooting
- Officials investigating fatal car crash in Springfield
- Police investigate fatal crash in Springfield
- Springfield fatal motorcycle crash under investigation
- Springfield fire under investigation
- Fatal officer-involved shooting in Springfield ruled justified
- DA identifies person who died in officer-involved shooting in Springfield
- Police investigating fatal accident
- Springfield police investigate suspicious device
- Police investigating crash near Springfield