EUGENE, Ore. -- Deputies are investigating after a 53-year-old woman was found dead at the Lane County Jail.
The Lane County Sheriff's Office said Jacqueline Cowans was found unresponsive in her cell on Friday morning.
Cowans had asked for medical staff a few minutes before 11 a.m., according to officials. The housing deputy said she wasn't showing any signs of a medical emergency but called medical staff anyway. By the time the deputy returned, Cowans was unresponsive.
Officials performed CPR for several minutes but were unsuccessful.
Cowans was booked into the Lane County Jail on Feb. 1 on charges of unlawful delivery of methadone, burglary, and possession of a stolen vehicle.
The medical examiner is working to determine the cause and manner of death.
- Deputies investigate inmate death at Lane County Jail
- Lane County Jail releasing fewer inmates early
- Former Lane County deputy sentenced to jail
- Lane County deputy on leave pending investigations
- Lane County deputy resigns amid misconduct investigation
- Jail nurse defends deputies charged with inmate's death
- Police investigating Coos County inmate's death
- Marion County deputies investigating suspicious death
- Linn County deputies investigate suspicious death
- Deputies investigating death in Lebanon