BEND, Ore. -- Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office deputies located a missing one-year-old boy Thursday in forest land off China Hat Road.
Deputies responded at about 6:17 a.m. to the 21100 block of Sholes Road, south of Bend, where a man had come out of the woods asking for law enforcement, according to a news release from the sheriff’s office.
Brandon M. Blouin, 25, said that he, an eighteen-year-old woman and their son, Bradley Michael Thomas, had been staying in a vehicle in the forest land north of China Hat Road near milepost 3. The woman walked away, and after waiting for her to return, Blouin took Bradley with him in search for the woman.
During his search, he set the child down in the forest and left him. Blouin is believed to have been under the influence of a controlled substance at the time.
DCSO detectives and patrol personnel, ground and horseback searchers, and drones and helicopters with thermal image sensors assisted in the search. A detective located Bradley, naked and laying in the dirt, at around 12:11 p.m. about 1 mile from the family’s vehicle. The boy was transferred into the care of medical personnel on scene.
Blouin was arrested on charges of Criminal Mistreatment I, Child Neglect II, Endangering the Welfare of a Minor, and Assault III. The assault charge stems from an injury that authorities believe Bradley suffered while in Blouin’s care.
Blouin is in police custody at St. Charles Medical Center in Bend. The investigation is ongoing.
- Deschutes deputies locate missing boy
- Deschutes County deputy fatally shoots man at campsite
- 83 horses seized in Deschutes County
- Sunriver man, 63, drowns in Deschutes River
- Deschutes County considers more restrictive marijuana rules
- Deputies search for 31-year-old missing man
- Oregon Drop Box Locator
- Personal locator beacon leads crews to missing hiker
- Douglas deputies find missing men in fatal crash
- Deputies identify body found in Albany as missing man