Discarded ashes cause house fire in Albany

Firefighters responded to a house fire Wednesday night, and officials said discarded ashes were to blame for the blaze.

Posted: Mar. 14, 2019 4:33 PM

ALBANY, Ore. -- Firefighters responded to a house fire Wednesday night, and officials said discarded ashes were to blame for the blaze.

Albany Fire Department officials said the fire began at about 9:30 p.m. outside a home on 38th Avenue SE, where fireplace ashes had been "improperly discarded."

The resident escaped the fire before crews arrived, and firefighters had the blaze under control by about 10:20 p.m. Tangent and Corvallis fire departments responded to Albany to cover emergency calls.

The damage is estimated to be $100,000.

Officials said that people should treat all coal and ashes as if they were hot, and follow these steps:

  • Allow ashes to cool completely in a fireplace or fire pit
  • Transfer ashes to a metal bucket
  • Keep the metal bucket outside away from combustibles
  • Wet the metal container and ashes down
  • Do not place other combustibles in the metal container
  • Do not use a combustible container for ashes

Article Comments

Eugene
Broken Clouds
46° wxIcon
Hi: 65° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 46°
Corvallis
Clear
43° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 43°
Roseburg
Few Clouds
51° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 51°
North Bend
Clear
46° wxIcon
Hi: 56° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 46°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events

 

 

 

Ask the Banker 

  Enter Contests