EUGENE, Ore. -- A convenient store clerk in downtown Eugene fended off an attacker with a baseball bat, but not before he was hit and the store was trashed, an employee said.
An employee at the Willamette Street Market downtown said it happened just before 9 p.m. on Friday. He said a man tried to steal candy and when a clerk confronted him, he was attacked.
The clerk was able to get the man outside the store and called the police, but the employee said the man came back in the store and started destroying a cooler and a glass display case. Fearing for his safety, the employee said the clerk hit the man with a baseball bat knocking him out.
KEZI 9 News reached out the Eugene Police Department for comment, but as of Saturday evening, we have not heard back.
- Downtown Eugene store clerk fends off attacker, employee says
- Eugene convenience store robbed
- Starbucks to close downtown store
- Downtown Eugene survey closes soon
- Farmers Market opens Saturday in downtown Eugene
- Eugene considers new downtown dog restrictions
- Train kills pedestrian in downtown Eugene
- Eugene council approves downtown dog law
- Tougher smoking ban passes for downtown Eugene
- Murals popping up around downtown Eugene