GREEN, Ore. -- An intense and prolonged exchange of gunfire was captured on cellphone video Saturday afternoon.
Police say the incident began around 6 p.m. Saturday when a possible stolen car was spotted at Love's Travel Stop on Grant Smith Road. The car had been reported stolen in Eugene on March 7, police said.
Douglas County sheriff's deputies and state troopers tried to contact the driver, police said, but the car sped away.
Officials say officers chased the car into a rancher's field where it became stuck.
The driver of the vehicle allegedly opened fire on authorities, police said, and "multiple" officers returned fire.
Police said that during the exchange of gunfire the stolen vehicle began to smoke and became engulfed in flames.
Later, police said, they found human remains inside the car.
No law enforcement personnel were injured during this incident. The involved officers were placed on administrative leave pursuant to their respective agency’s officer involved shooting protocols, officials said.
The Douglas County Major Crimes Team is investigating the incident, with the Roseburg Police Department being the lead investigating agency.
- Dramatic video captures Green shootout
- Couple speaks out after capturing video of deadly Green shootout
- Investigators seeking person of interest in Green shootout
- Grand jury finds use of force justified in Green shootout
- DNA used to identify man who died in Green shootout
- Video captures deadly officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- Costs for Portland City Hall security jump dramatically
- Authorities ID Oregon man killed in shootout with deputies
- Eugene police praise new K9 after captures
- Democrats capture House, GOP holds Senate