FLORENCE, Ore. – Health officials are warning people who get their drinking water directly from Siltcoos Lake about cyanotoxins detected in the water.
Low levels of the toxins, produced from harmful algae blooms, were discovered in the lake about seven miles south of Florence off Highway 101.
People who get drinking water directly from the lake are recommended to use an alternative drinking source for vulnerable family members and pets. This includes children younger than five, pregnant and nursing women, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.
Toxins have not been found in finished or treated drinking water.
South Coast Water District is monitoring the toxin levels in the lake and will notify those using private intakes and using in-home treatment systems when the toxins drop to safe levels.
Officials said the toxin levels in the lake are too low to issue a recreational use health advisory, so it is safe to swim in the lake or do activities such as water skiing.
- Drinking water advisory issued for Siltcoos Lake
- Salem drinking water advisory lifted
- State issues advisory for Dorena Lake
- Keizer offers drinking water to Salem after advisory
- Salem's drinking water advisory lifted, now safe for everyone
- Recreational use health advisory re-issued for Upper Klamath Lake
- Salem's toxic water advisory extended
- Philomath residents need to boil drinking water
- Health advisory updated for Detroit Lake
- Air stagnation advisory issued for Western Oregon