EUGENE, Ore. - A stranger danger alert has been sent out by the Eugene Police Department after a teen was almost taken Monday night.
The 17-years-old girl reported a driver pulled up to her near the intersection of North Terry Street and Barger Drive. She told police the passenger in the car tried to grab her and force her into the car. The teen managed to fight back and run away, police said.
General Personal Safety Tips
· Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is close at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
· Walk confidently and don’t avoid all eye contact because perpetrators can mistake this for fear and vulnerability, instead project awareness of your environment.
· Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
· Be aware of your surroundings at all times and eliminate distractions or items that limit your ability to scan your environment
· Don’t stop to talk to strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
· If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
· If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
· Use the buddy system when walking after dark or in ‘fringe’ areas, which are places there are fewer people traveling, allowing them a chance to victimize you without chancing witnesses. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
· Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves.
That teen described the car to investigators as a white Honda Civic with bluish headlights. She also reported seeing blue lights on the inside of the car's ceiling. Another detail that police hope will help find the car in question is the last number on the front license plate. The victim said it was an Oregon license plate ending in the number 2.
According to investigators, the suspected passenger was described as a Hispanic man in his mid-20s, standing about 6-foot 2-inches to 6-foot 3-inches tall, with a very thick build, and black/brownish hair that is long on top. He was last seen wearing a black pull-over hoody and khaki pants.
Police said the suspected driver was described as a black man wearing short sleeves.
If you have any information about this incident, call the Eugene Police Department at (541) 682-5111.
- Police: Teen almost abducted by stranger
- Eugene Police say stranger approached teen girl walking home
- Police: stranger followed teen home from bus stop
- Girl escapes attempted abduction
- Woman nearly abducted from Alton Baker Park
- Siuslaw School District issues warning after attempted abduction
- Man who entered stranger's party naked sentenced to prison
- Woman gets kidney donation from stranger thanks to Facebook post
- Police warn teens about driving dangers
- Escaped teen caught by Springfield police