Exploding drone battery causes major damage to Eugene home

Tina Thomas said her family owned a Propel X-5 drone with a lithium battery.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 6:00 PM

EUGENE, Ore. -- One Eugene woman said a drone battery caught fire inside of her house and caused major damage.

Tina Thomas said her family owned a Propel X-5 drone with a lithium battery. She said they followed the charging instructions and left the battery charging for 15 minutes, even though the instructions said you could charge it for 30 minutes.

Thomas said they unplugged the battery and then noticed it was smoking. That’s when the trouble began.

"Then it just shot out. I mean it was like a missile,” Thomas said.

She said the battery shot right into the carpet and lit it on fire, and then the charger port shot into the dog bed and lit that on fire.

Luckily no one was injured, but they ended up having to replace the carpet. They got rid of the drone because they didn’t want to risk another incident.

"It was terrible. It was a nightmare -- I'm telling you -- I just could not believe that a toy could do that,” Thomas said.

Thomas said by the time the Fire Marshall arrived, the battery had disintegrated.

Oregon Coronavirus Cases

Data is updated nightly.

Confirmed Cases: 4570

Reported Deaths: 161
CountyConfirmedDeaths
Multnomah123663
Marion102827
Washington77518
Clackamas33912
Deschutes1340
Umatilla1253
Linn1249
Polk10012
Lane803
Yamhill797
Jackson690
Benton625
Jefferson550
Clatsop450
Klamath450
Hood River370
Malheur330
Wasco321
Coos320
Douglas290
Lincoln270
Josephine231
Columbia160
Morrow120
Curry70
Crook60
Union60
Tillamook60
Wallowa20
Lake20
Sherman10
Harney10
Grant10
Baker10
Unassigned00
Eugene
Overcast
52° wxIcon
Hi: 58° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 52°
Corvallis
Overcast
49° wxIcon
Hi: 58° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 49°
Roseburg
Overcast
53° wxIcon
Hi: 60° Lo: 47°
Feels Like: 53°
North Bend
Overcast
52° wxIcon
Hi: 56° Lo: 47°
Feels Like: 52°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events