SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Students at Two Rivers - Dos Rios Elementary School worked on a project where they designed their dream playground.
Fifth grade students worked with the Architects in Schools program to learn about what architects and engineers do. Each week graduate students from the University of Oregon came to the class to teach them the fundamentals of design.
They chose the project with hopes they might be able to make some needed improvements to their school's playground. Mary Milford, a graduate student who helped teach the kids, said some of them just wanted a playground that had proper drainage and equipment that students with disabilities could use.
"Seeing how excited they are about the potential change in their own community doing this design that's so close to home for them, I think that's been the most exciting thing for me so far," Milford said.
Each student came up with their own designs. They designed everything from baseball and soccer fields to gymnastics jungle gyms. In the process, they learned how to design, measure and build models.
Students said they had fun on the project because it allowed them to be creative. Serenity Newett said she wants to learn more about it in the future.
When asked about her favorite part of the project, Newett said, "Just using my imagination and trying to figure out ways to design it."
Milford said this program is important because it gives young students exposure to different opportunities they could pursue in the future.
- Elementary students help design playground
- Elementary student dies in Harrisburg
- Thurston High School student designs Nike shoes
- Lane County students design, build, and race their own cars
- Lookingglass Elementary rebuilding gymnasium
- Elementary students used Legos to learn about diesel engines
- Elementary students in Springfield get free new shoes
- Students make lunches for homeless at Springfield elementary school
- Students participate in bike rodeo at 4J elementary schools
- Skilled To Work: Legos help Mt. Vernon Elementary students code