EUGENE, Ore. -- The Eugene Marathon saw the most people since 2013 and with the influx of participants came a need for enhanced security.
Runners said safety is a larger part of their concerns as they participate in events like this, but some runners also said it is a source of unity for them.
Josh Svodoba is from Boston and he said running marathons like this one is a way he can pay tribute to people in the racing community - especially in his hometown..
"After what happened in Boston in 2013 I think it is always at the forefront of everybody's mind, but it also brings the whole running community together," said Svodoba. " I wanted to run this course because I felt safe and I wanted to do it for all the runners who have come before me."
Patrols were set up all along the course and at the start and finish lines at Autzen stadium to ensure the race went on without a hitch and Ian Dobson, the assistant race director, said that they were not going to take any chances.
"We took our lead from University of Oregon for what they do for football games,so we really followed their template anything they suggested we just did. They know what they're doing here at Autzen Stadium," said Dobson.
Bomb dogs also scoped out the course before the race which Dobson said was strictly a precaution.
Dobson says that there were no incidents of safety or security that were breached during the day's event.
PeaceHealth also had tents set up in the case of an injury where a runner would require medical assistance.
Dr. Rechelle Asirot told KEZI that most of the complaints they got from runners today were for fatigue and cramping, but that there were no sprains or fractures.
- Enhanced security at 13th annual Eugene Marathon
- Annual Umpqua Fishery Enhancement Derby begins
- Marathon Monday: Eugene Marathon Needs Volunteers
- Marathon Monday: Eugene Has Heart
- Thousands participate in Eugene Marathon
- Eugene Police preparing for Eugene Marathon
- Marathon Monday: The Eugene Marathon Goes Green For the Gold
- Marathon Monday: Big changes to the Eugene Marathon
- Eugene Marathon grants it's sixth wish
- Businesses prepare for the Eugene Marathon