EUGENE, Ore. -- If you're flying out for a little summer vacation this year, pack your patience. Airlines for America, an airline industry trade group, is predicting this summer will be the busiest on record and projects more than two-and-a-half million travelers around the country will take flight each day this summer.
The Eugene Airport is already seeing more passengers than usual. Cathryn Stephens, a spokeswoman for the airport, says they have already seen a 17 percent increase this spring and they’re on track for a seventh record. Stephens says they'll be able to keep up with the demand thanks to recent improvements, including parking and the TSA pre-check.
“For a long time Portland was the airport of choice and Eugene was a fallback, and now I think Eugene has become the airport of choice for a lot of people,” traveler Shirley Cairns said.
According to Airlines for America, national carriers are adding 116,000 seats per day to accommodate the extra passengers. Even though the Eugene Airport isn't as big as PDX, officials say you still need to show up two hours early.
- Eugene Airport braces for busy summer travel
- Eugene Airport braces for holiday travel
- Eugene Airport shares holiday travel tips
- Eugene Airport offers travel tips for Thanksgiving
- Travelers face rental car shortage at Eugene Airport
- Holiday travelers enjoy the convenience of Eugene Airport
- Fire damages Eugene businesses
- Eugene Airport adds new security screening lane
- Snow fall delays flights at Eugene Airport
- Eugene Airport opens new economy parking lot