EUGENE, Ore. – The Eugene City Council is holding a public hearing for a proposed dog ordinance during the City Council meeting on Monday.
The ordinance would ban dogs in the downtown area unless the owner has a valid dog license that certifies the dog has been vaccinated for rabies. The license must also be attached to a collar or harness on the dog.
The city council discussed the ordinance in April, and on Monday they moved forward with the public hearing to get community feedback.
City officials said there have been growing concerns about safety downtown. They said they have had multiple incidents in the past in which dogs have bitten people and they were not sure if the dogs had been vaccinated.
Some community members agreed with the proposed ordinance, while others said they could see both sides of the issue.
"I agree, I do feel they should be licensed saying they have their shots and you know, up to date and everything, but I also feel if they are behaved or they don't bite or stuff like that, I feel like they should be allowed to be down here,” said Cheyenne Caraveo, a community member.
City officials said they want to make it clear that this proposal is not the same as the temporary dog ban that was previously in place. They said dogs would still be allowed downtown as long as they had the proper vaccinations.
The city already has dog licensing requirements and officials said you can get a license at vet clinics and through organizations such as Pro-Bone-O.
- Eugene City Council holds public hearing for proposed dog ordinance
- Eugene City Council to weigh panhandling ordinance at public hearing
- Eugene City Council holds hearing on wildlife proposal
- Eugene City Council holds public hearings on excise tax, panhandling
- Eugene City Council holds public hearing on single-use plastics
- Eugene City Council votes against panhandling ordinance
- Eugene City Council discusses secondary dwelling unit ordinance
- Eugene City Council considering single-use plastics ordinance
- Eugene City Council passes single-use plastics ordinance
- Eugene divided during public hearing on proposed payroll tax