EUGENE, Ore. -- The Eugene Family YMCA recently was gifted a $4 million donation from a local Eugene couple.
Bill and Michelle Service live in Eugene and have a long history with the YMCA.
"I just basically can't imagine a Lane County without a community-centric compasisonate mission of this Y," said Bill. "The needs that the Y has today are so much greater than they were when I was a kid here and this building is just bursting from its delapidated seams."
Bill has been attending the Y since he was a kid and now serves on the board.
Michele got her first job at the Y, and so the couple decided to give back to the place they say has given so much to them, something CEO Brian Steffen says is invaluable.
"It's inspiring," he said. "Bill and Michele both grew up attending YMCAs. Bill has worked at this Y. He went to camps at this Y, and so to see the impact that had on his life is so rewarding because it tells us as staff that the Y leaves a lasting legacy."
The money will be used to fund the construction of a new YMCA on the corner of 24th Avenue and Hilyard Street.
The gift is the largest private donation the local YMCA has ever received.
To thank the pair, there will be a reception at the Eugene Family YMCA on Wednesday, Jan. 8, from 4 to 5 p.m.
- Eugene Family YMCA receives $4 million gift
- Eugene Family YMCA holds school supply drive
- Anonymous donor gives $100,000 to Eugene YMCA
- Eugene YMCA CEO camps out on roof
- Eugene doctor receives top honor
- GOP walkout threatens funding for new YMCA building in Eugene
- Children shop with Eugene Police to find gifts for family members
- Garage fire displaces Eugene family
- Eugene woman receives threats from scammer
- Eugene Mission receives hundreds of new coats