EUGENE, Ore., -- Eugene Police confirmed an officer-involved shooting that took place in the 1200 block of Washington Saturday morning.
At 4:29 a.m. Saturday morning, police received reports that a man broke into a home and stabbed 36-year-old Donald Rivers of Eugene in the neck and shoulder. Police responded to the scene and began looking for the suspect.
During a search two officers located the suspect in the backyard of 546 W. 13th Avenue. The suspect was armed with a knife and was ordered to drop it. Details from the call indicate a taser was used.
Shots were then fired and the suspect was hit. The suspect was then transported to a local hospital where he is currently being treated.
Rivers was also transported to a local hospital where he later died of his injuries sustained in the stabbing. No officers were injured.
“This was a dangerous, rapidly evolving situation with a violent suspect," said Chief Chris Skinner. "All indications are that officers gave the suspect every opportunity to comply, including use of taser, and then were were faced with the difficult but necessary decision to use deadly force.”
"This is scary because my son called me and said, 'Dad there's something going on in your neighborhood and you need to go look at it,'" said Dale Berg, a Eugene resident. "So basically this is why I'm here, because this doesn't normally happen in our neighborhood. It's a friendly neighborhood and all of a sudden you've got something going on here."
Roads in the 1200 and 1300 block of Jefferson, Polk and Washington were closed and travelers were nasked to avoid the area.
This incident is still under investigation.
- Eugene Police confirm officer-involved shooting
- Second suspect identified in Eugene officer-involved shooting
- Video captures deadly officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- Neighbors react to stabbing, officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- Suspect identified in stabbing, officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- Police union, CLDC respond after DA officer-involved shooting report
- Suspect in Springfield officer-involved shooting identified
- DA: Officers justified in Coos Bay officer-involved shooting
- DA: Use of deadly force justified in Eugene officer-involved shooting
- Eugene police meet 10-year-old officer