EUGENE, Ore. -- Before you set out milk and cookies for Santa and plug in millions of Christmas lights this holiday season, fire officials want you to keep fire safety in mind.
Eugene-Springfield Fire is taking a unique approach to raising awareness this year, decorating a window of Fire Station 1 in Eugene with a snowflake light.
For each structure fire between now and the new year, staff will switch a white light to a red light. As of Friday morning, all the lights were white, indicating no structure fires thus far.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, one out of every four structure fires this winter will likely be caused by a heat source too close to a Christmas tree.
The U.S. Fire Administration has several tips listed on their website to keep you safe this holiday season:
- Only use decorations that are flame-retardant or not flammable.
- Check holiday lights each year for frayed wires or excessive wear.
- Don’t link more than three strands of holiday lights.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended. Consider using battery-operated flameless candles.
- Keep your live Christmas tree away from heat sources and room exits.
- Water your live Christmas tree daily to keep it from becoming dry.