EUGENE, Ore. -- The planning continues on a $60 million expansion to the 5th Street Public Market in Eugene, and city councilors are now looking at changing the height restrictions near Skinner Butte.
KEZI spoke with Will Dowdy, the Urban Development Manager with the City of Eugene.
He said the county owns the parking lot just west of the 5th Street Public Market, where the expansion will take place.
Dowdy said in downtown Eugene there is a construction height restriction of 150 feet. In addition to the downtown restrictions, the site also runs in the Skinner Butte limitation zone, which is from Sixth Ave. to the River. The height restriction there is 80 feet.
He said the code amendment would potentially make the site a transition zone, so they could build up to 110 feet.
Dowdy said the expansion will be a seven-story building that will be about 85 feet tall.
"Fifth Street Market’s expansion will be a major addition to the downtown area and so this is one way that, the project can move forward as proposed and provide a lot more housing units, and hotel rooms and more retail space in the downtown core,” said Dowdy.
He said he hopes the expansion will bring more people into the downtown area, without obstructing the Skinner Butte view. So far, Dowdy said their preliminary research shows the plans won't interfere with the view.
Dowdy said people can share their input on the potential code amendment during public hearings the city will host in the coming months.
- Eugene could change height restrictions for 5th Street Market
- 5th Street Public Market announces expansion
- Pets take photos with Santa at 5th Street Public Market
- Construction underway for 5th Street Public Market Expansion
- Kidsports gets over $1,300 from 5th Street Market
- Nike to be anchor tenant in 5th Street Public Market expansion
- Eugene could see more fireworks restrictions
- Eugene moving forward with stricter firework restrictions
- Eugene considers new downtown dog restrictions
- Neighbors shaken after 5th armed robbery reported in Eugene