EUGENE, Ore. -- A man posted video of himself shooting a handgun from a downtown apartment building minutes before a SWAT team stormed the room with an explosive charge.
Today, Sean Colin Fox, 22, was charged with unlawful use of a weapon with a firearm in Lane County Court.
As his mother was walking out of Lane County court, she told KEZI 9 News that Fox recently finished treatment at a drug rehabilitation center and was shocked that this happened.
One of his close friends, Chrystle Wheeler, spoke about Fox today over a phone interview and said he is a good person that just made some bad decisions.
"He definitely went too far and, you know, he's very fortunate that he didn't hurt himself or others," Wheeler said.
Nobody was injured in the incident, which began around 1 p.m. on Sunday at 13th and Olive.
"Never in my mind I would think he would ever try to kill anybody," Wheeler said.
At one point, streets and alleys near the area were blocked off.
"It was kinda scary and frightening at first, hearing that in downtown Eugene, it's not something you expect," said Ryan Gulbranson, witness.
Multiple witnesses told KEZI that the sound of gunfire could be heard, along with an explosion.
"I heard this lady yelling at me," Daryn Kleynhans said. "There's a cop and she's telling me to come behind this corner she was standing next to. So I'm like 'Oh, okay,' so she's like, 'Hide over here if you don't want to be shot.'"
The tense standoff ended only after SWAT members blasted through Fox's door using an explosive charge, leading Fox to surrender.
A spokesperson for the Eugene police said Fox was suicidal.
Police Lt. Doug Mozan said the shooter "presented a risk, a pretty major risk, to people in the adjacent building, the folks on the street passing by in vehicles or on foot and to our perimeter officer that were trying to get eyes on this place."
Fox will appear in court again on Jan. 29.
- Shooting suspect appears in court; friends shocked
- Springfield murder suspect appears in court
- Teenage triple murder suspect appears in court
- Lebanon double murder suspect appears in court
- WATCH: Teen murder suspect appears in court
- Trooper's DUII arrest shocks neighbors
- WEB EXTRA: Suspect in Roseburg triple homicide makes first court appearance
- Man accused of stabbing dog appears in court
- Roseburg teen accused of killing foster family appears in court
- Man accused of YouTube employee threats appears in court